The Charterhouse of Pisa where amazement and enchantment mingle with science, history, art and nature
was founded in 1366, about 10 km from Pisa is located in the town of Calci,
on the slopes of the Pisan mountains.
It was a Carthusian monastery with baroque forms, with a large internal courtyard for common life, cells and more reserved rooms, a beautiful fašade in the center of which is the church, clad in white marble, with a double flight of steps and the crowning of the tympanum with the statue of the Assumption among angels.
Today it hosts:
- the National Museum of the Certosa Monumentale di Calci which participates in the initiative "Sundays at the museum": free entry on the first Sunday of the month, the monastic complex is visited, in its monumental parts, accompanied by the staff of the Tuscan Museum Complex. Reservations are required for groups of more than 15 people.
- the Museum of Natural History of the University of Pisa, rich in artifacts of zoology, paleontology and mineralogy, as well as the largest freshwater aquarium in Italy.